Friday, August 19, 2005

Kids Back to School

Marielle and Marc are back to school last August 5. Unlike before when my husband took them to school every morning, the kids now take the school bus. It's been hard for me waking up earlier than before especially after getting 10-hr sleep every night during summer. I still have trouble getting myself to sleep early at night. The truth is I havent had decent sleep since school started.
The bus comes by every 6:45 AM so I have to get the kids to be at the bus stop 10 minutes earlier. The bus stop is only 15 meters away from the house so I just watch them from our frontyard as they wait for the bus. The first time we waited for the bus, we were way too early. It was still dark and we could hear the crickets. And the mosquitoes were eating us alive which made me realize American mosquitoes are much more cruel than the Philippine mosquitoes. These little winged vampires suck your blood the very moment they land on your skin and they sting like wasps.

The night before the first day of school, Marc cried saying he's scared to go to school. My poor little son ... I know his first taste of school here was painful. Dean and I believe his teacher disliked him. She was not considerate of the fact that Marc was experiencing culture-shock. She thought that my son was the most misbehaving student in her class, sending him to the principal's office more than twice for reprimanding and .... some licking . One time she even discouraged us from letting Marc join the field trip because she was worried she couldnt handle him ... even when I said I'd be coming too to personally watch him. In the end she said yes but not before I said, "promise, I will be resposible for my son."

But now, I can see my kids are having fun in school. Dean has managed to change Marc's attitude about going to school by promising him a reward if he's gonna do good in school, esp. behavior-wise for one whole month. Dean will buy him a new play station game and it works!! He works harder now too on his reading lessons.

Marielle is doing good in her class. I can see that from her teacher's daily report. She sends home a paper that shows how Marielle's doing everyday. My daughter is always happy to tell me she got a green which means she's been behaving well in class. One time she got a yellow which means warning. Blue, red, black and white entail disciplinary actions. Marielle dreads "palo" that's why I'm pretty sure she will never get anything worse than yellow.

I'm looking forward to a very fruitful school-year for my kids. I always say they're bright kids ... like I was . Nagbubuhat ba ng sariling bangko?? But then, this early I tell them being bright isnt enough, they should be smart too. I know a lot of "genius" people who are unproductive... sayang ang talino kung kung di naman marunong dumiskarte sa buhay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home