Wednesday, September 14, 2005

What a Trip!

The kids just left for school and I debated with myself whether I should go back to bed or work on my blog and start talking about our recent trip to Corning, NY. But then I knew my family and friends back home (Philippines) are eager to know how the trip went. This is the good thing about blogging. What a pain if I have to email each of them and tell them all about the same thing! This way I just have to invite them to my blog and let them have a glimpse of what's going on in my life in the States.

Dean had been planning for us to visit with his mom since January but GOD never willed it until August 31. We were all excited about the trip even if we knew it would be awefully long. Actually the kids never had the idea how far Corning, NY was. Everytime we stopped to rest, Marc would ask, "Is this where grannie Mary lives?" And while driving the kids pestered us with endless "Are we there yet?" Kids always needs something to amuse themselves because once they get bored it's as if they are licensed to annoy you to death. Good thing my smart husband bought a portable DVD player so they could watch movies or play games while on the road.

Before reaching Corning we spent a couple of nights in motels. The first time was in Georgia and then Virginia. Taking I-95 (interstate road) we passed through 7 different states -- GA, SC, NC, VA, WV, MD and PA. I call it state hopping and it was fun! I wish I've taken photos of us in each of their welcome centers. We arrived in Corning on Friday at 6 PM. We were welcomed by Dean's sister Beverly and her husband, Don. Their daughter Corrie was also there with her 2 huge dogs. We stayed at Bev's house for four days. They were really nice ...their hospitality was greatly appreciated.

While up there we maximized our time by visiting Dean's mom, Mary everyday. My mother-in-law is 84 years old and stays in a nursing home. She reminded me of my grannie although Mama by the grace of GOD is still strong enough to do things by herself. I remember Marielle saying, "My grannie in the Philippines can take care of herself and doesnt need to be in a place like this." But grannie Mary is looking and doing a lot better than the rest of the patients. Just across her room another old woman would scream every 3 minutes, "Somebody help me! Can somebody tell me where I am? Where the hell am I?" At first I thought it was funny but later I felt sorry for her and for the others who suffer from different health problems.

Dean drove us around the place where he spent his childhood. He also took us to his dad's grave. Then we went to Corning Store and bought a few corningware items. Saturday, we celebrated my 35th bithday. My husband bought me a black forest cake and Bev grilled yummy chicken and squash. Dean's other older sister, Pat was supposed to come the next day for a get-together party but for some reason that didnt push through.

The day before we left back for home, my friend Tess and her husband, Larry came down from Buffalo to meet us. I was happy to see them both and I wish we had more time together. But we still were able to make the best out of the little time we had. We went to a park where Tess and I enjoyed driving the go-karts (I was nervous at first because it was my first time) while hubbies were watching and taking snaps. Marielle and Marc had their own share of fun too, eating ice cream and enjoyng the kiddie rides. Later we had a pleasant conversation with the Tippetts over dinner in a buffet restaurant.

Tuesday noontime, we hit the road back home. This time we were not in a hurry and spent more time sight-seeing. We were back in Arcadia Friday afternoon. We were all dead tired but we sure had a great time.

Well, everything went well! We all enjoyed the vacation and GOD willing we hope it will happen again maybe next year. Hopefully by that time the kids and I are no longer undesirable aliens in the States :):)... I mean already permanent residents here so we could cross the US-Canada border and see the famous Niagara Falls. That's really something to look forward to.




At the nursing home where Grannie Mary stays. She shares this room with a 92 year old woman.





North Carolina welcome center.







Don's pine tree turned into a wood carving adorns his backyard.







Marielle and Marc got a warm hug from Grannie Mary the first time they saw her.






Montourville -a scenic view from the hilly Pennsylvania.






With Bev just before we got in the truck to go back home.






Tess (behind me) and I all set for the go-kart race.






Tess trying to pass me. No, I'm not racing against anyone I'm just having fun.







Back in Florida. We stopped to rest by the lake called Princess.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home