Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Encounter With A Stranger

I was in a book store yesterday, looking for some stuff that I can get my kids as Christmas presents. I was done shopping but I lingered at this book shelf where a huge astronomy book was displayed. I was particularly attracted to the nice color pictures of the different canstellations so I started browsing and reading through some of the pages.

I was so engrossed with the book when suddenly somebody touched my shoulder. I turned around and saw a guy, a white American, with stocky built and a little taller than me. At first, I thought I did something wrong. This is how our exchange was:

stranger: "So you like astronomy, huh?"
me: (my eyes glued on the pages) "Um, I like the stars, galaxy, canstellations ...
stuff like that."
stranger: "You do stargazing?"
me: (still not looking at him) "Sometimes."
stranger: "Do you have a telescope?"
me: "We used to have one but now it's broken."
stranger: "No problem, I will buy you one."
me: (now trying to leave because I start feeling annoyed) "Yeah right... no, but thanks."
stranger: "Hey, I can buy you that book at least."
me: (pretending to be graceful) "You're nice but again, no and thanks anyway."
stranger: "What about a cup of coffee, there's a coffee shop right here in the store."
me: "I know but ... excuse me, I need to go."
stranger: "Wait ..."

I left the place with hurried steps, glancing back to see if he was following me. He wasnt so I felt comfortable again. That was a very weird encounter. I told Dean about it. He said that the guy was obviously hitting on me because I wasnt wearing my wedding ring (Dean's not wearing his either) and I was so naive that I should have left right after he offered a telescope! Actually I knew exactly what the guy was doing. I was just hoping that he was sensitive enough to know I wasnt interested.
.

2 Comments:

  • At November 28, 2007 9:43 PM, Blogger PinayWAHM said…

    Ok..talk about creepy...and the bookstore is a public place. Glad to hear you got away though before he tried anything bad..

    Juliana

     
  • At November 28, 2007 10:21 PM, Blogger Au Shepard said…

    I wasnt really scared kasi nga nasa public place naman kami pero alam ko kasi he was up to something. And that was my first time to experience something like that here in the states.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home