Monday, February 20, 2006

She Writes

This is a short story that Marielle wrote in her class for which she was chosen to be one of the two Spotlight Writers of the Week several days back. Her work was hung in the cafeteria and in the library for a couple of weeks. The girl next to her is a first grader. Marielle is in second grade.


The Day Everyone Disappeared
by Marielle Perolina

On January first I knocked on my parents’ bedroom door. No one answered. I thought Mom and Dad and my brother were grocery shopping. When I went to the school no one was there. So then I thought everyone disappeared.

I went back home to solve this disappearance thing. I went to the kitchen to get some food and saw a note from an alien.

I made a rocket and blasted off Earth. I saw the aliens with my family and everybody. The aliens saw me and locked me in a cage. I had this bomb and boom it went. I saw my parents again. I saw the brain controller. I controlled all the humans to my rocket and blasted all of us back to Earth.

When everybody was normal again I told them I had saved them. Everyone said I was a hero.



Anak-dotes

Papa: Marielle, would you like to raise a pig?
Marielle: I've never heard of anyone racing against a pig.
Papa: What are you talking about?

Mama: You were not listening. Papa said raise, R-A-I-S-E not race, R-A-C-E
Marielle: Oh, homophones...raise and race.
Mama: You two dont see eye to eye.
Marielle: Yes we do. Papa, look me in the eye.
Mama: Marielle it's an idiomatic expression.
Papa: It means we dont understand each other.
Mama: Someday your school will teach you about idioms.
Marielle: Medium?
Papa: No. Large.
(No. Small.)

-oOo-

Papa: Spell Missisippi.
Marielle: Easy. We just studied about abbreviation in school. M-R-S period S-I-P-I. Mrs. Sipi.
(Korek ka dyan!)


9 Comments:

  • At February 20, 2006 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    kids are funny but most of the time, they have a point, lol! About Marielle who can write, i guess she got it from you, who else?

     
  • At February 21, 2006 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Au,

    Ito yong Binangkal recipe na ginagamit ko. Mayroon din akung ibang nakikita sa internet na sinubukan ko. Pero mas gusto ko pa rin itong simple na pina ka una kung ginagamit. :D

    Ingredients:

    2 1/2 c. flour
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp baking powder
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    2/3 cup water
    2 tbsp oil
    Sesami seeds

    Directions:

    Sift together dry ingredients.
    Mix brown sugar, water and oil. add to flour mixture.
    Mix to blind.
    With a teaspoon, take bits of batter
    then roll in sesame seeds.
    Fry in deep hot fat until brown.

    Gud luck! I can't wait to see the pic on your Binangkal! ~_^

     
  • At February 21, 2006 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tess: Actually I've been noting down yung mga kakengkoyan nila, yung iba nga nung nasa Pinas pa kami. Si Marielle mahilig siya magsulat, ako naman hindi. Si Marc naman magaling mag sketch and draw. Anyway, thanks for the compliment.

    Lanie: Again, thank you talaga for the recipe. I'll make it as soon as I get all the ingredients and sure, I'll show you pics of how it will turn out. Mahilig din ako mag-adventure sa kusina so I'm pretty sure it wont be a disaster.

     
  • At February 22, 2006 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Au, ur very welcome jud. Super sayon lang ni siya, plus ganahan ko ani na recie kay dili kaayo dako or daghan ang ingredients ba. Dili ta magka lisod ug hurot ug karon dayon. :D Thanks for the time ha. ~_^

     
  • At February 23, 2006 11:55 AM, Blogger Raquel said…

    Hi Au,

    Wow ang galing naman sumulat, seryusong seryuso sko while reading the story but in the end, very funny. I am excited to see my daughter's milestones. I am going to collect all of the momorable conversations too.

    Maganda yan para pag malaki na sila, they will appreciate it.

     
  • At February 24, 2006 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Raqs, TY for dropping by. yes good idea talaga if you keep record of the funny and interesting things that your kid/s say.

     
  • At March 05, 2006 2:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    list mo lahat ng mga anakdotes nila ha..hehe..so funny no? haay, even if the kids can be so kulet, they still give color to your life diba..di ka pa ana, kumpleto jud imo kinabuhi..regards sa kanila.

     
  • At March 09, 2006 3:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi, au. been some time but its worth it. nothing makes a parent happy than to see what their kids can do. don't know if mardon likes to write and draw. if not, then could safely say ur kids got the creative juice from our line. it's heartwarming. . . . the anecdotes: good to know you've kept a log of them. who knows one day you might come up with a book. . . . looking forward for more. . . . btw, has marielle tried cooking spaghetti a la marielle? just wondering if she remembers. . . . till next visit . . .

     
  • At March 10, 2006 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi anonymous aka tita Bim, thank you for coming by. Mardon was not artistic but he was good in Math and was into sports. He was once a varsity player in volleyball. He believed he was a good singer and I think Marielle got that "ilusyon" from him.

    The kids are fine. Ang bilis nila lumaki. Marielle hasnt tried to make spaghetti here yet. Ano ba yung ala-Marielle spag? Anyways she helps out in the kitchen sometimes and can make her own scrambled eggs. And she just told me she's been picked out again as spotlight writer but her story is still on display in school.

    Marc is a challenge discipline wise. We just have to be consistent. But he excels in drawing and sketching. I always get a "wow" note from his teacher about his drawings and he's pretty good in math, the very subject I dreaded the most.

    Regards to Tito Noel and Jireh!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home