Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Driving Drives Me Nuts

I got up this morning even before the alarm went off. I didnt sleep good last night. Insomnia sucks. My body was so tired but my mind just kept going and going. I think I did slip into the slumberland but too bad Cupcake's barking woke me up ... at 2:30 AM! Our neigbor's cats must have been around again to check if she had a left over of her food. She hates those cats. Or, maybe that huge white pit bull came again. He's been coming around our house almost everyday knowing that my dog is in heat. Poor Cupcake, she likes to get laid so much BUT we cant let her have babies by a different breed. It could kill her. How can a 10-pound dog deliver big babies!? I mean, I havent heard a C-section done on dogs yet.

The kids didnt have school yesterday. Not only because it was Columbus' Day. It was also the school's Records Day. I dont know what exactly they are doing on Record's Day but I assume it's when the teachers make the students' progress reports. Abby looked after the kids so Dean and I could go to Bradenton, about 1 hour from Arcadia, to look for a place where he could possibly start another business. Nothing's definite really but he's been thinking of branching out his furniture business maybe in 2 years which is long ways from now.

Actually, one other reason why we went to Bradenton was for me to get to drive the car again. But this time I was nervous. I mean more nervous than the first time. After driving about 10 miles, I told my husband that I couldnt go on anymore. I think I wasnt sitting right. I felt numb in my knee and couldnt feel I was stepping on the gas. Then the other vehicles coming from different directions seemed to get too intimidating. I was fine the first time but this time I was just too scared I couldnt focus on the road.

We went to Dean's store after breakfast. Dean told me to drive so I'd get used to the traffic signals around the town. I told him, ok I'll try but be nice. Even before he started teaching me how to drive he already asked for an apology because he knew he'd be very impatient with me. Someone told me husbands are usually the worst trainers as they can be mean. It's true in my case. He panics and gets upset when I dont drive right. One time he said, "girl, you are the craziest driver I've ever known." LOL! Well, what did he expect? My golly, I never drove before and that's why he's teaching me.

Thank GOD, we got to the store alive. Whew! That was after fighting on the road while I was driving him to the store. Before I got out the car, I told him that I need someone else to teach me because he makes me nervous. When you are nervous you tend to mess up more, right? Sorry if I sound like I'm hubby-bashing. I love him :) :). But I really mean it, I need another trainer.

5 Comments:

  • At October 11, 2005 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i can relate, lol! like you, i am a nervous freak too but i'm sure in due time, we will overcome this fear! Happy driving!

     
  • At October 12, 2005 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    it does seem so difficult the first time. but everything has a first time you'll be surprised when that day comes when you can already drive like a pro. dont be discouraged.

     
  • At October 13, 2005 1:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's probably true that husbands make the worst instructors, but, in defense of the hubby, you have to remember... we're nervous too. We know you have never driven before and driving can be scary enough when you do it everyday... then to have someone else at the controls, rendering us powerless, makes us a bit nervous too.
    I'm sure in time you'll drive like a veteran and it'll be second nature to you... like breathing, but until then, BOTH of you will be be scared to death when you take the wheel. You just have to accept the fact that you're both nervous and move on. Just try to drive on less populated highways where you can get the feel of the vehicle and it's placement on the road. (which I'm sure you already have) And if you're too nervous to drive, pull over and let someone else take the wheel. It's better to give in to nervousness than it is to be bullheaded have an accident. Drive short hops until you're more comfortable... THEN attack the cross country trip.

    Good luck.. I'm sure you'll do fine. Rome wasn't built in a day either.

     
  • At October 14, 2005 12:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh... your look so awesome. keep it up lady.

     
  • At December 16, 2005 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just remember when I started learning how to drive here in the US... Had about the same situation as you do :) A few days after I arrived here my hubby taught me how to drive and it was so difficult to concentrate, tension is really inside the car "we are both nervous". :)
    So, after we moved to Omaha we both decided that am going to driving school. Though it cost a little bit of money, but it's worth it than having somebody who gets so frustrated easy while teaching you how to drive. Plus driving school instructor would teach you rules and regulations of the road. They will also teach you how to be a defensive driver.

    It was really a very big help.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home