Friday, October 12, 2007

Lunch at School

For the first time I joined my kids for lunch yesterday at their new school here in South Carolina and witnessed how things are done during lunch time. Students go to the cafeteria by grade level. Each level is alloted 25 minutes which covers lining up to get their food, eating and lining up again to hand their trays and left overs back to the counter for cleaning.

The teachers have red and green plastic cups on the table. When students are eating you see the red cup over the green cup which means they are not allowed to talk. It was nice to see most of the kids "respecting" the cups. They just kept on eating not saying a word. Some tried to get away with whispers and some managed to communicate using body language. I guess the purpose of the cup method is for the kids to be able to finish their food before the next batch of students are ready to take over their tables. Once their done the cups are switched around and the kids can talk as they place their mess in the trays and get ready to leave.

I've always known that each class have designated table cleaners for the week. My kids' school in Florida does the same thing so I wasnt surprised to see some kids carrying wash cloths, brooms and mops as soon as their classmates left the tables. And they worked fast too! What a good training ground for kids who are expected to help around in their respective homes.

From the cafeteria, the kids stay in their lines until they're back to their classrooms. Some head to the playground for 15-minute recess.

I tried to take pictures of my kids at the cafeteria but they strongly told me not to. "Please Mom, don't embarrass us." So I didnt insist. I walked with my daughter as her class went back to their room. I saw her Social Studies project about the Cheyenne Indians hanging on the wall in the hall way and accross from it is the poster she made for the Junior Beagle, the school newspaper in which she's one of the writers.

For lunch I opted to buy food from the school cafeteria. I had a cup of sweet corn, pizza sticks and salsa, cinnamon roll and a bottle of choco milk. Unfortunately one of these has caused me to constantly pass gas the whole afternoon 'til bedtime. But it was a good 45 minutes that I spent with my kids. I enjoyed it more than they did.

1 Comments:

  • At October 16, 2007 5:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    luks lyk ur k na, and back to ur usual routine. and am glad. dark days are an integral part of our lives. the Lord allows that, i guess, to remind us of our need of Him. nway, b assured that, not hearing from any of us does not necessarily mean u've bn forgotten. for that to happen, the memory of you must be totally from our minds. whatever those memories may be, they link us to one another. not just coz we carry the same name. it's coz we're family. one thing you can be sure of: u are loved. and nothing can change that.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home